Friday, November 30, 2007

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving Day here was a special one. In a place like this, its easy to sometimes get caught up in the everyday challenges and forget to lift your eyes and realize all that you've been given. And yet, in a place like this, there is so very much to be thankful for. The reminders are all around, I just forget to take the time to see them. I am thankful for my "family" here and how we have come together as a team and as people from many walks of life for a united purpose. I'm thankful for their company, encouragement and that I get to work alongside them. I'm thankful for little things, like hot water, my 2 new heavy blankets and a package from home. I'm thankful for each of my students and the joy they bring to me each day as I get to see them grow and learn and change. I'm thankful that I've been brought here and been given this task and that I have the assurance of the Promise that will be fulfilled when He comes.

Thanksgiving was also just a plain old fun day. I got up early and had breakfast with a friend before joinging some other teachers to go to the embassy for the 10k and 5k races being held there. I ran in the 5k and, suprisingly enough, placed first in the women's race and won a cool turkey hat. It was a nice morning and I enjoyed spending time with fellow teachers and some other expats that I've met through frisbee or our local fellowship. In the afternoon, we had a big dinner together as a staff with all the typical Thanksgiving food and played cards and watched movies late into the night. A great way to celebrate and time to remember all I have to be thankful for!

Some school and frisbee friends and I at the race


Our school staff that competed in the 5k or 10k


The 5k group

No comments: