Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fishbowl Shopping

As I discovered today, shopping here is a whole new challenge. At home, I usually dread going to the store. I get indecisive when it comes to buying things. I think the best way to shop is to know exactly what you want, grab it as quickly as possible and get out. Well, here its not so easy. First, there's no such thing as "one-stop shopping". If you want furniture, you go to the street where they sell furniture. If you want plastic containers, you go to "plastic container street". Everything is grouped. But don't think this makes it organized because it isn't. At least to my eyes, it seems there's no real order. And if you bought it there yesterday, you may not be able to get it there today. So the rule is to buy it when you see it, with no time for indecisiveness. If this wasn't enough, there's the unique fishbowl aspect of shopping. Let me illustrate this aspect for you.
Today, Leslee, Sharon, Mandy and I decided we'd like to get fabric for our classroom bulletin boards and some clothes. Lucky for us, there's one area of shops nearby that sells both. So we hopped in the truck and Ali drove us to what I suppose would be considered a "fabric and clothes mini mall" of sorts. But for us, it was a fishbowl. All the store workers were men and most of them came to the door of their shop, or even outside, to stare while we looked at what was hanging in the windows. As we worked our way along, I snuck a peek back over my shoulder and, sure enough, there was a long row of brown eyes following us as we walked along. Every piece of fabric we looked at, every shirt we thought looked nice or wierd or way too sparkly, was noticed. I may dread shopping at home, but at least I can do it without every one around me examining my purchases! So, I'm realizing that I've got to say goodbye to quick "runs" to the store. Choas, bargaining and fishbowl shopping must become a new way of life!
We did buy some fabric from a nice man who had lived briefly in England and spoke English well. Here's a picture of his fabric shop:

No comments: